March 15, 2016 from 8:00 am - 4:00 pm
$30 per person
Maryland Department of Agriculture, 50 Harry S. Truman Parkway, Annapolis, MD 21401
Come and learn all about the best marketing tips for your Maryland farmers market, the new and exciting opportunities for markets in Maryland, and current regulations in preparation for the 2016 season. We will have a range of speakers, as well as training & certification for farmers for the WIC FMNP/SFMNP & FVC Programs, Scale Certification, SNAP sign up, and a locally sourced lunch! Space is limited to the first 90 guests to register and send in payment.
Also available will be training and certification sessions for farmers for the Farmers Market Nutrition Program (FMNP), the Seniors Farmers Market Nutrition Program (SFMNP), and the Fruit and Vegetable Check (FVC) program, as well as sign up for farmers who wish to become eligible to accept the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP). If you are interested in the SNAP Sign Up, please see the SNAP information document.
Farmers can also bring their market scales in for certification by the Weights & Measures Department. Please read the additional information on how to do this in the agenda link or see the agenda below.
Please note: Space is limited to the first 90 people to register and send in payment. **New this year - You now have the ability to register and pay online by credit card or check!
See the agenda link (or agenda below) for more information. Registration & payment link.
- 8:00 am - Conference Registration, Scale Certification & SNAP Sign-Up begins:
- Scale Certification by the Weights & Measures Office: Bring your market scales! For businesses that are registered with Maryland Department of Agriculture Weights & Measures, you need only to bring your certificate along with your scale. If you would like to renew your registration, we will accept payment that same day. New businesses that have not had their scales tested should contact Weights & Measures at the Maryland Department of Agriculture ahead of time, to ensure your scales are legal for trade models. Call them at 410-841-5790 or email email@example.com. Once you have verified that your scales are legal for trade, you should bring them along with payment the day of conference. New this year, we can accept credit cards and eCheck/ACH payments in addition to paper checks. View payment process at the web portal https://egov.maryland.gov/mda/weightsandmeasures#/
- SNAP Sign-Up Requirements: Picture ID (driver’s license or passport), Social Security Card (or other official document with your name and SSN) and a copy of voided check for bank account you will use to deposit funds. In order to receive FREE equipment, you will also need to complete the Farmers Market Coalition application, which can be found here: http://fmctoolbox.org.
- 9:00 am – Welcome Remarks - Maryland Secretary of Agriculture Joseph Bartenfelder
- 9:10 am – Farmers Market Pricing Program: Levi Geyer –USDA Agricultural Marketing Service Dave Wert – Ag Market News
- 9:25 am – Maryland Department of Agriculture (MDA) Updates: Crop Insurance, Homegrown by Heroes, Farmers Market Signs & Maryland’s Best Programs: Stone Slade - MDA
- 9:50 am – Farmers Market Etiquette: Janna Howley – Grow & Fortify
- 10:30 am – FMNP Mobile Market Finder: Shelby Watson Hampton – MDA
- 11:00 am – Farmers Market Marketing Tips: Sandy Lawler – JFX Farmers Market Cheryl DeBerry – DeBerry Farm
- 12:00 pm - Networking Lunch
- 1:00 pm – Programs & Permits for Food Safety: Molly Gillingham– MDA & Lisa Staley- DHMH
- 2:00 pm – Maryland Farmers Market Association Update: Amy G. Crone – Director
- 2:25 pm - Farmers Market Insurance: Danielle Bauer – Farm Family Insurance
- 2:35 pm - Wineries/Breweries Update: Kevin Atticks – Maryland Wineries Association
- 3:00 pm - FMNP/SFMNP/FVC Training: Shelby Watson Hampton – MDA & Terri Buckler- DHMH
- 4:00 pm - Closing Remarks & Conclusion
If you have further questions after reading the agenda, or trouble with the registration link, please contact Shelby Watson-Hampton directly:
Shelby Watson Hampton
Agricultural Marketing Specialist
Maryland Department of Agriculture
50 Harry S. Truman Parkway
Annapolis, MD 21401
Office - 410-841-5776
Cell - 240-304-8535
Email - Shelby.Watson@Maryland.Gov