George Bishoff, Chairman of the Garrett Soil Conservation District, has announced that the soil conservation district will again grant a scholarship to a county student. According to Bishoff, this scholarship is to assist a student who is interested in pursuing an agricultural or natural resources related degree. One recipient will be selected from applications submitted to the Garrett Soil Conservation District and will receive $1,000 after August 1 with proof of enrollment.
Eligibility guidelines now allow college students and previous winners to apply as well as high school seniors. In order to qualify the student must be meet the following requirements:
- Must be a resident of Garrett County, Maryland and graduating or was a resident of Garrett County, Maryland at the time of graduation from one of the following high schools:
- Mountain Ridge High School
- Northern Garrett High School
- Southern Garrett High School
- Must have a high school/college grade point average of 3.0 or better.
- Must major in an agricultural or natural resources related field.
- Previous winners are eligible but preference will be given to first time applicants.
Completed applications, along with a one page essay, are due into the conservation district office by May 1. Selection of the recipient will be made by June 30 by the Garrett Soil Conservation District Board of Supervisors.
Interested persons may contact one of the area high school guidance counselors, office of financial aid or the soil conservation district office or web site http://www.garrettscd.org/ for more information and/or application forms.
Name: Carrie Colebank
Mailing Address: Garrett SCD
1916 Maryland Highway, Suite C
Mt. Lake Park MD 21550